"I am beginning to suspect all elaborate and special systems of education. They seem to me to be built upon the supposition that every child is a kind of idiot who must be taught to think. Whereas, if the child is left to himself, he will think more and better, if less showily. Let him go and come freely, let him touch real things and combine his impressions for himself, instead of sitting indoors at a little round table, while a sweet-voiced teacher suggests that he build a stone wall with his wooden blocks, or make a rainbow out of strips of coloured paper, or plant straw trees in bead flower-pots. Such teaching fills the mind with artificial associations that must be got rid of, before the child can develop independent ideas out of actual experience." -- Anne Sullivan

Thursday, December 6, 2007

Unschooling me and my Christmas perfection..A holiday tale..







This was previously posted on L-E-A-P, our unschooling group, but I thought I would share with some pictures.






So, I love Christmas!! Love the family, love the decorations, love the giving, LOVE CHRISTMAS!!!!! Christmas has always been MY holiday. Like it was my moms, and her moms before that. Ed and the kids have always loved how I have decorated, created and "done" Christmas. This year I had a big, long think with myself and told myself, "Carie, your kids love Christmas. They should have a chance to do their Christmas". So, I asked Ed if he and the kids would like to go and pick out the tree this year while I was at work. He looked at me in utter disbelief and came up with a dozen excuses why he shouldn't. I am totally a tree perfectionist and I think I made him nervous. Ben heard us and was totally on board. He was going to pickout the tree. So I called Ed and he was in a bad mood after the tree picking. After we talked I realized it was because he felt like it wasn't the right tree. But Ben was sooooo excited about his tree. So I came home and we put the tree in its place for the holiday. It's crooked. Very crooked...So, I just smiled and was happy with Ben about his tree. And we sang and laughed and I kept my thoughts about the structure of the tree to myself. After everyone fell asleep, I put the lights on, kinda my quiet tradition. I listen to Stevie Wonder and wind the tree with lights. So here's some honesty..I'm winding the tree, and I was thinking I could have sooo picked out a better tree, and no kidding, all the lights that I was stringing went out. I sat down, had a cry, and felt some honesty on Christmas. This is their tree. And its crooked. And it's BEAUTIFUL.



A past Christmas story...~My Nana would let all 5 of her kids decorate the tree, then when they went to bed, she would cut off branches and wire them to where they should be on the tree. She would replace all of the ornaments and make her tree perfect. My mom was very similar. I definately am a product of their Christmas perfection.~



So, anyway, I fixed the lights, and continued to wind the tree. And I sat by it, like I do every year and fell in love with it. This morning the kids were so, so, so excited with the lights on the tree. The crooked tree. :~) They loved it and so did I . Tonight when I got home from work we decorated it. They put the ornaments where they wanted and had a blast. Ben stood back and declared that it was the best tree ever. Bless him. So I still think its crooked, but beautiful. My Mom and my Nana are rolling in their graves right now cursing me. Oh well. Ben and Hannah love their Christmas tree. It really is pretty... Crooked, but beautiful.



Happy Unschooly Holidays.



May all your trees be unperfect and your children be happy.



~Carie

Reading Material

  • Parenting A Free Child: An Unschooled Life by Rue Kream
  • The Tao of Pooh
  • Herbal Remedies for Children's Health by Rosemary Gladstar
  • The Well Adjusted Child by Rachel Gathercole
  • Living Simply With Children by Marie Sherlock