"I am beginning to suspect all elaborate and special systems of education. They seem to me to be built upon the supposition that every child is a kind of idiot who must be taught to think. Whereas, if the child is left to himself, he will think more and better, if less showily. Let him go and come freely, let him touch real things and combine his impressions for himself, instead of sitting indoors at a little round table, while a sweet-voiced teacher suggests that he build a stone wall with his wooden blocks, or make a rainbow out of strips of coloured paper, or plant straw trees in bead flower-pots. Such teaching fills the mind with artificial associations that must be got rid of, before the child can develop independent ideas out of actual experience." -- Anne Sullivan

Thursday, October 11, 2007

To start again..

I haven't blogged in a long time. I have so much in my heart and on my mind that I am starting again. I have always felt better when I write:~). I am a much faster typer now than I am a writer, or else I'd write in a journal. However my days are so full that if anyone wants to catch up you can see where we're at through my writings.
My days are good full. I am spending good time with the kids. We are on a beautiful path right now. We chose the homeschooling path a few years back. I know some of you all know I struggled with this decision. We went back and forth on what would be best for the kids. Then we took it a step further, whats good for our family? Ben and Hannah are such individuals. They do not belong in the public school system. We all want to be together. We explored homeschooling for a few years. I researched curriculum and thought we would be going on a particular path. We decided to not send Ben to any kind of school this fall. We started on a daily schooling routine about 6 months ago. This did not work. I should say the schooling workbooks did not work, at all. He would get "tired" and bored.
As we researched different homeschool techniques, I had a friend talk about unschooling her children. I really did not understand the difference between unschooling and homeschooling.
We do now.
We have always lived a unique life. Ed and I have always walked our own walks and danced to a differnt beat. When we decided to have children, we had some ideas of how we wanted to raise our kids to be. Over the past 5 years we have grown in our personal resolves, and are learning to let our children grow in theirs.
We have chosen to take an UNSCHOOLING path. Anyone who does not know what that particular term really means, please google it. You will find an amazing amount of resources.
We shut the books. We are letting our children lead their learning. And can I say, I have NEVER seen Ben so passionate about HIS work. His work consists of drawing when he feels like he wants too. Building huge towers with leaning walls. Using magnets and exploring with them, Finding letters all around the house. Playing computer games by himself, and doing great!! Understanding the relationship between the sun,moon and earth. He has a great group of kids he plays with and he is happy. And most important, he is just being a kid!!
Hannah, thank goodness never had the pressure of school. It's so not her speed:~) She goes to dance class and loves it!! Even though half the time she is exploring her own groove!! Go Hannah!! She is funny, dramatic, spirited, and amazing!!! She can soar thru pbskids.org games without asking for help once. She loves babies, and she loves our friends because they let her be who she is... funny, loud, quiet, sensitive, loving, happy and dramatic.. our Hannah:~)
Unschooling. We are trying to walk this path everyday. I think Ben is realizing a change in schooly things. And I can tell its good with him:~) Hannah is, as always, happy to be free. And Ed and I are trying all the time to let go of our own control issues. This is us! We feel blessed to have found this path on our walk through life...
Well this is a start.. I'll have more to write. Now that I've started, I'll keep going:~) Goodnight.

Reading Material

  • Parenting A Free Child: An Unschooled Life by Rue Kream
  • The Tao of Pooh
  • Herbal Remedies for Children's Health by Rosemary Gladstar
  • The Well Adjusted Child by Rachel Gathercole
  • Living Simply With Children by Marie Sherlock